The 2016 edition of the Australian Interschools Snowsports competition kicked off yesterday in the majestic Snowy Mountains at Perisher Resort. Competitors were welcomed to the event site by immaculate race courses and the distinctive buzz of anticipation that only the Australian Interschools Snowsports Championships can offer.

SMGS Snowsports athletes got off to a fantastic start yesterday, and this was backed up by some beautiful warm weather up at Perisher. We had our XC teams in full athletic flight as well as our younger snowboarders showing all of Australia just how it is done.

I am very proud of all our students today. To see the Snowboard Div 3 Male team Finn Sadler, Kaylam Tytherleigh and Max Vardy get up to 1st was an excellent surprise, and I am sure the boy’s smiles will carry on this evening.

Of the Snowboard Div 3 Male Team’s win, Max Vardy said “Today was scary as there was a lot of stress running through my head. I just didn’t want to let my team down. That was the motivation I needed. When I got on the podium, I felt like it was the best thing in the world with my idol Jarryd Hughes only a few feet away. The gold medal was a milestone for me, and I was so proud to stand up there with my team.”

SMGS Day 1 Australian Interschools Snowsports Championships results:

XC Freestyle
Div 3 Female Team 3rd
Div 3 Male Finn Sadler 1st
Div 2 Male Team 1st
Div 2 Male Bentley Walker-Broose 2nd
Div 1 Female Team 3rd

XC Relay
Div 2 Male Team 3rd
Div 1 Female Team 3rd

SBX 
Div 5 Female Team 1st
Div 5 Female Cassie Nicholls 2nd

Snowboard GS
Div 3 Female Team 2nd
Div 3 Team Male 1st
Div 3 Male Finn Sadler 2nd

Complete Day 1 Results

The following events will be contested on day 2 of competition:
Moguls – Div 5
Snowboard GS – Div 4/5
Snowboard Cross – Div 1, 2 and 3
Snowboard Slopestyle – Div 1/2

Full schedule of events

Photos of day 1 competition can be viewed on the Perisher Dashboard

Good luck to all competitors over the next four days of competition.

Thank you,

Tim Bland
Head of Sport