Competitors were greeted with another spectacular spring day for the second day of competition in the 2016 Australian Interschools Snowsorts Championships at Perisher Resort. Day 2 saw the snowboarding events take centre stage along with the division 5 moguls out at Blue Cow.

Once again, SMGS showed why it is Australia’s number 1 snowsports school, dominating the days snowboarding events and more than doubling our medal tally from day 1.

Junior Girls Dominate

Junior snowsport s at SMGS continues to go from strength to strength. Australian snowsports got a glimpse of what the future holds as our division 5 girls completed a clean sweep of the snowboarding events with first place in SnowboardX and Snowboard GS. Leading the charge with two individual podiums was Year 4 student, Cassie Nicholls:

“Snowboarding well how can I best describe my season”. “it’s really helped me realise that teamwork is the best”. “I still love skiing more, but snowboarding is really something I do for heaps of fun”.

“It takes good friends and determination to stay on top as a team and I believe that’s been our secret all season. We are fantastic as a team.”

Head of Snowsports, Mr Tim Bland, was extremely pleased with the girl’s performances and is excited about what lay ahead:

“I am tremendously proud of the achievements of these junior school students. Their efforts throughout the whole season have been outstanding and it has been wonderful to see them remain so consistent. They are our SMGS pocket rockets and definitely athletes to watch in the future. I am excited to see how they all progress over the next few years.”

SMGS Medal Tally

Day Team Medals Individual Medals Total
1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
Day 1 – Wednesday 3 1 1 3 4 0 12
Day 2 – Thursday 4 2 1 4 0 2 13
Competition Total: 25

SMGS Day 2 Australian Interschools Snowsports Championships results:

SnowboardX
Div 3 Female Team 1st
Div 3 Female Jess Dickson 2nd
Div 3 Male Team 1st
Div 3 Male Finn Sadler 1st
Div 2 Female Team 1st
Div 2 Female Cora McCloskey 2nd
Div 1 Female Team 2nd
Div 1 Georgia Crisp 2nd
Div 1 Male Alex Dickson 1st

Snowboard GS
Div 5 Female Team 1st
Div 5 Female Cassie Nicholls 3rd

Slopestyle
Div 1 Female Georgia Crisp 2nd
Div 1 Male Corey Olsen 3rd

Complete Day 2 Results

The following events will be contested on day 3 of competition:
Moguls – Div 4
Alpine GS – Div 3
Ski Cross – Div 4/5
Snowboard GS – Div 1/2
Ski Slopestyle – Div 1/2

Full schedule of events

Photos of day 1 competition can be viewed on the Perisher Dashboard.

Good luck to all competitors over the next three days of competition.