SMGS 2016 Dux of the School, Lucy Schroeder, achieved very high results in all her subjects, with outstanding results in the sciences and humanities, including second in the state for Senior Science. “I am absolutely thrilled about Lucy’s result. This was the first year we have had Senior Science at Snowy Mountains Grammar School and I couldn’t have wished for a better beginning. Lucy worked so hard, constantly demonstrating what it takes to achieve a Band 6 result. I am so proud of her“, said Dr Darryl Nelson, Head of Faculty, Sciences and Technology . Lucy also achieved Band 6 results in Legal Studies and Physics. “I am so surprised and elated by this result. I worked hard, but I never expected to achieve such high results! It still hasn’t sunk in fully, but certainly made receiving my results more exciting. I really couldn’t have done it without the support of Dr Nelson throughout this year”, said Lucy of her achievements.

As well as Lucy’s second in the state for Senior Science, her overall HSC results topped the cohort at SMGS, and also earned her an ATAR of 96.5.

Dux of the School is awarded to the top academic student who has achieved outstanding results in his or her scholarship and endeavors at SMGS. This is a huge achievement and one Lucy can always be proud of as she joins a special group of scholars graduating from SMGS.

We caught up with Lucy over the school holiday period to gain a bit more insight into her time at SMGS, her mentors, and what she has planned for the future.

Q. You achieved Dux of the School for the 2016 cohort. Can you tell us what this means to you?

I worked really hard all year, and it’s an excellent feeling to see all of that hard work pay off! It’s an exciting achievement, and I’m proud of myself for continuing to work hard even when my motivation waned.

Q. What subject area interested you the most and why?

I’ve always been fascinated by the way the world works. For me, Chemistry allowed me to explore this in a very scientific way, which I loved. Legal Studies also interested me in a similar way, despite being a very different subject. It allowed me to discover more about how our society and legal system works.

Q. You did phenomenally well in your HSC examinations, achieving 2nd in the state (Senior Science). Do you have any HSC study tips for the 2017 cohort?

Communicate with your teachers. Do lots of practice HSC questions and get your teachers’ feedback. Take notes from the syllabus – make sure you know what you need to know and don’t waste time memorising things that you won’t be tested on. Also, don’t be too hard on yourself! Everyone is struggling – it’s a hard year. You will get through it, I promise.

Q. We heard you are about to embark on a career in Legal Studies in 2017. Can you tell us more about where you will be going to university and why you chose the field of Law?

I want to go to the University of Sydney – I haven’t got in just yet! When I look at the world, read the news, witness injustices occurring, I feel compelled to rectify them. I don’t feel comfortable with the idea that the world is unfair and that’s just the way it is. I’m hoping that a law degree will equip me with the skills and place me in a position to work on unravelling some of the inequalities within our society.

Q. What are you looking forward to the most when starting your university studies?

I’m so excited for it all! I’m looking forward to having my perspective challenged and broadening my world view. I’m excited to meet some people who are passionate about what I believe in – and debating and learning from those I disagree with. I’m excited to be surrounded by people who are engaged, ready and buzzing to learn more about the world.

Q. How has your time at SMGS contributed to helping you pursue a degree in law? Are there any mentors or teachers at SMGS who have been instrumental in helping you along the way?

During my time at SMGS, I’ve definitely been encouraged to think critically about challenging situations when they have arisen. All of my teachers have helped me immensely. I really couldn’t have done so well without them. Dr Barton always made sure I got off my soapbox during Legal Studies, and helped me to realise that each perspective in a debate is nuanced and perhaps more complicated than I had given credit to. Dr Nelson, although heartbroken that I’m not going into Science, has provided me with a lot of support and encouragement this year as my mentor. Miss Jones as my tutor has been vital in getting me through this year, and Mrs West has always been so willing to offer her help and support whenever the opportunity arises.

Q. What was one of your most memorable moments during your time at SMGS?

It would have to be biting down into a warm chocolate chip muffin at recess time while my hands were freezing from the icy winter air.

Q. What do you think you will miss the most about SMGS?

I’ve been at SMGS since Year 7, and in that time I’ve made such good connections with so many people there – both staff and other students. I’m really going to miss the support, encouragements and friendship of so many people.

Scholarships at Snowy Mountains Grammar School

We are delighted to announce that scholarship applications are now open for the 2018 academic year.

Snowy Mountains Grammar School offers a limited number of Scholarships in the Senior School that are made available each year to students commencing in Years 7 to 11. Scholarships for Senior School students commencing in Years 7 to 11 are offered for the duration of a student’s remaining years at Snowy Mountains Grammar School until completion of Year 12.

All Academic Excellence Scholarship applicants are required to complete the external ACER scholarship entry examination . For 2018 scholarships, the ACER exam will be held at Snowy Mountains Grammar School on Saturday 25 February, 2017.

To learn more about SMGS scholarships, click here