The first day of Term 1 each year is momentous for all new Kindergarten students. This year it is also an historical milestone for the school with the enrolment of Poppy Witherdin, as she is the first child of an alumnus to commence their schooling at Snowy Mountains Grammar School in Kindergarten.

Poppy’s father, Jeremy, joined the school in Term 4 of 1998 as a Year 7 boarding student. Jeremy was always actively involved in sport, representing the school for many years in rugby union. He was also a talented public speaker, winning the school trophy consecutively in Years 11 and 12. He was always involved in a diversity of co-curricular activities. In 2002 Jeremy went to Chile and returned in 2003 for Year 11. He was elected School Captain for 2004 and fulfilled this role with distinction.

Poppy is the second child of an ex SMGS student to attend the school, the first being Yvonne Watson, now in Year 10. Yvonne is the daughter of Joanne Watson (nee Brown) who completed her schooling with SMGS as a Year 12 student in 1998. Yvonne joined the school in her upper primary years.

On his thoughts about his daughter Poppy starting Kindergarten at SMGS, Jeremy said, “Snowy Mountains Grammar School was such a great influence on me, and in making me the person I am today. The environment, community and support of the great teachers that I had as a student made a huge difference. I’m sure Poppy will experience the same great education”.

We hope all of our Kindergarten students have had an enjoyable first week at SMGS!