Last week SMGS kicked off their 2018 K-2 and Year 12 Buddy Program. After meeting their Year 12 Buddy, students headed out to the SMGS oval to participate in an obstacle course, parachute games, and duck-duck goose. The group then had a picnic lunch, a reading session and finished the day off with a Nature Scavenger Hunt.

The SMGS buddy system is an integral part of the school community. Of the program, Scott Frize, Head of Junior School, said, “I love that our Year 12 students are so genuine about their desire to be a part of the life of our Kindergarten students. Seeing them interact with our youngest students is one of many feel-good moments that, as teachers, we experience here at SMGS.”

SMGS Year 12 Junior School Captain, Heidi Nicholson, echoed Mr Frize’s sentiment, saying “It was a much bigger success then I could have imagined and I was beyond proud of my cohort as they took their K/1/2 buddies under their wing and made them feel as comfortable as possible. Each and every student from K/1/2 and Year 12 were excited to get in the pool with their buddies the next day at the SMGS swimming carnival. I was so pleased with the outcome, and I could not have asked for anything better!”

A big thank you to our Year 12 students, K/1 teacher Mrs Tavia Taylor and Year 2/3 teacher Mrs Marcia Elliot for organising such a fun-filled and memorable day for the youngest members of our school community!

Junior School at SMGS

The Junior School is a very special part of the Snowy Mountains Grammar School educational model. The Junior School years are fundamental in the establishment of strong educational foundations and work practices.

With small class sizes and a total population of up to 80, the concept of individual programming at SMGS Junior School is a reality, not a dream. Our students can gain full benefit from the close attention to detail that is an integral part of everyday life in the Junior School.

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE JUNIOR SCHOOL AT SMGS, CLICK HERE!