Tomorrow at 1:00 pm, SMGS Year 12 student Sarah Ryan will be shaving her head as part of ‘The World’s Greatest Shave’.

Sarah has so far raised $2,083, over $1,000 more than her goal amount. You can still sponsor Sarah through her page on the Leukaemia Foundation’s ‘The World’s Greatest Shave’ website, by clicking HERE.

We caught up with Sarah to ask her a few questions about her participation in this year’s event.

1)       How/why did you make the decision to participate in this year’s ‘The World’s Greatest Shave’? 

I have always thought about doing the World’s Greatest Shave, but after Winsome [SMGS Year 10 student] did it last year I finally had the courage to undertake it myself. Since my grandfather died of cancer in 2014, I have been thinking about how I could do my part to improve the lives of the people who suffer from cancer, and their families.

2)       Why is fundraising for the Leukamia Foundation so important to you?

If I can help improve someone’s life, I’m going to try and do it. The money that I have raised for my hair could save someone’s life and that feels like a pretty small sacrifice. By donating my hair I can also improve someone’s body image with a wig, which could really improve their feelings about themselves, especially when everything else in their lives isn’t going great.

3)       Are you nervous about shaving your head?

I’m very nervous about shaving my head but it’s a small price to pay in order to further advance cancer research and help people living with a life-threatening cancer.

4)       What do you like most about this fundraising event?

It brings everyone together as a community and I really feel the support that the school, my friends and my family have for me, and also knowing that I will continue to have that support.

Sarah’s family wishes to thank all the students, staff and families who have donated so far to Sarah’s World’s Greatest Shave!

The SMGS student council also donated some of the proceeds from the Valentine’s Day fundraiser and the school swimming carnival fundraiser.

The SMGS community is very proud of you, Sarah!