This week, boarding schools around Australia will be participating in the Australian Boarding Schools Association (ABSA) National Boarding Week. The week is aimed at raising awareness about the many benefits of boarding schools, thanking our boarding staff for their commitment to our students and celebrating the important part our boarding community plays in the fabric of our school community and wider community.
This week our boarding community will be participating in the following activities, so keep an eye on our website (www.smgs.nsw.edu.au), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/snowymtnsgrammar) and Instagram account (@snowymountainsgrammarschool) for all things ABSA National Boarding Week!
- Throughout the week:
- A top ten of who travels the furthest to SMGS’ boarding house.
- “Why I love boarding” in 25 words or less.
- “Best room” competition.
- Wednesday, 16th May – Boarders Run Australia – SMGS boarding students will be heading out for a walk beside beautiful Lake Jindabyne to de-compress from a busy day at school.
- Wednesday, 16th May – SMGS boarding house students and staff will be teaming up with our School of Aviation for a special photo shoot down by the lake!
- Thursday, 17th May – We will be hosting an ‘80s Night’ themed dinner. Boarding students, staff and some teachers and executive members will have the chance to break out their neon clothing, crimpers and blue eyeshadow! This evening will also include some games and competitions!
- Friday, 18th May – National Boarding Staff Day – The SMGS school community will take the opportunity to thank our amazing boarding staff.
- Saturday, 19th May – National Boarding Principals’ Day – Celebrating those who take on the ultimate responsibility – looking after other people’s children.
Head of Boarding at SMGS, Mrs Julie Wright, is very excited about our school’s participation in this Australia-wide event, saying, “SMGS is a uniquely different boarding community and this great event will provide us with the opportunity not only to showcase our location nestled in the foothills of Australia’s stunning alpine region, on the shores of beautiful Lake Jindabyne, but will also provide a glimpse into the daily life of a SMGS boarding student.”