Congratulations to Year 12 student, Declan Burke, who was selected as SMGS’ 2018 Pierre de Coubertin Award recipient. Declan represented SMGS at the NSW Pierre de Coubertin Academy Day and Presentation last month, where he was presented with his certificate by Olympian Jarryd Hughes.

Head of SMGS’ Senior School, Kelli Wilson, elaborated on the Pierre de Coubertin award and Declan’s nomination by the school community, saying, “Declan is a wonderful sporting ambassador for Snowy Mountains Grammar School.  He is involved in a number of school representative arenas alongside a community involvement in sport. He is a keen swimmer and cross-country runner, representing at the ISA interschools level.  He is an elite snowsports athlete who combines his own sporting commitments with assisting and encouraging his team mates. He is also a member of the local Jindabyne SLSC, volunteering many hours to assist younger children learn about water safety.

“The Pierre de Coubertin Award is one of the most prestigious external school awards, given in recognition of the Olympic ideals. Declan demonstrates these ideals by his quiet, hard-working commitment to his team mates, his training and his competitions. His dedication in the pursuit of excellence and the sportsmanship he shows makes him a most worthy recipient. Congratulations, Declan, we are very proud of all that you do.”

Of the 2018 Pierre de Coubertin Award, Declan said, “I felt very honoured and privileged to receive such an award. I was very pleased to hear that out of all our amazing students, I was nominated. At the Academy Day and Presentation, I heard many inspiring stories about athletes, the Olympics and of course sportsmanship. I think some of the stories will help me to grow as a person. I was presented the award by Olympic silver medallist Jarryd Hughes, so I felt at ease receiving it from another snowsports athlete. Overall, the award has helped me learn a lot and I’m over the moon to be the SMGS recipient for 2018.”

Congratulations, Declan!