About The Role
The School Receptionist is required to deliver friendly, efficient customer service and create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for our School Community. The School Receptionist is primarily responsible for providing dedicated customer support services to parents, staff and students of the School including providing First Aid and general health services. The School Receptionist is required to uphold and maintain a high level of confidentiality and discernment, in the undertaking of their role. The role encompasses skills in managing front desk enquiries, incoming phone calls, word processing, data entry, report generation, database management, photocopying, filing and other general administrative tasks.
Reporting and working relationships
The School Receptionist is responsible to the Business Manager for all day to day activities and is expected to work collaboratively with all members of our School community to produce a positive and harmonious team environment. The role requires daily contact with parents / carers of students and on occasion, emergency services personnel.
All staff members are ultimately responsible to the School Principal.
Extent of Authority
Manage assigned work to achieve all goals to finality within policies and guidelines, reporting to the Business Manager work priorities and workloads, and any matters not covered by policies and guidelines.
Statement of Key Outcomes and Associated Activities
The role of the School Receptionist encompasses activities within the following Key Result Areas (KRAs):
- First Aid & Health Services
- Student Support
The responsibilities of the School Receptionist in each KRA include:
First Aid & Health Services (Emergency First Aid, Student Well-Being)
- Ensure that adequate first aid supplies are always available for use. These are to be stored in such a manner that they can be easily identified and are accessible by any person rendering assistance to students. These may include kits for sports, camps and excursions.
- Ensure that clearly labelled medications for each school student are stored appropriately.
- Ensure that all medication in school sick rooms and student boxes is within its ‘Use By’ date and arrange its replacement once expired.
- Provide assessment of a medical condition within the capabilities of training and qualifications and be able to administer assistance accordingly.
- Ensure that the sick room linen is laundered, and the facilities are always in a clean and prepared state to accept an unwell student or staff member.
- Monitor and support students who are in the school sick room and enter incidents into Sentral.
- Maintain an accurate profile of students within the school who have medical conditions that put them ‘at risk’, including detailed information on symptoms, rendering assistance and administering medication.
- Have a full knowledge and understanding of emergency procedures, School policies and the legal requirements associated with providing a safe environment for students and staff, and then be able to implement strategies to meet all requirements.
- Greet staff, students and School community on entry to the reception area.
- Receive incoming calls, take and distribute all messages efficiently to relevant staff, students and the School community.
- Arrange distribution of deliveries.
- Undertake administrative tasks as required by the Executive Team and other School staff.
- Ensure that the reception area is kept clean and tidy.
- Tidying the kitchen and ordering consumables.
- Send and collect mail from the post office and distribute incoming mail.
- Maintain school supplies including stationery, general supplies and cleaning products.
- Order staff badges for new staff and role changes.
- Reconcile invoices and statements for receptionist relevant suppliers.
- Updating of internal lists including phone, staff contact details and medical alters register.
- Receipt payments from school parents and students.
- Ensure the adequate recording of student accidents and sickness.
- Maintain stock of VAPDs and calculators for students and provide charges to accounts for billing cycle.
- Provide student supervision as required.
- Keep up to date on what is happening around the School.
- Provide a high level of customer service to all customers and to optimally promote and serve the School through effective customer care.
- Maintain School/parent communication software.