This senior leadership role is pivotal to the School’s functionality, ensuring educational delivery is fully supported by excellent corporate services and the development of physical facilities.
The Director of Corporate Services (DOCS) is a member of the School Executive and reports directly to the Principal for all matters that pertain to the operation and administration of corporate services within the School. The DOCS works closely with other members of the School Executive to continuously develop and improve the strategic, administrative and operational practices of the school.
The DOCS has direct operational responsibilities in:
- Human resources (including recruitment and onboarding)
- External contractor management
- External liaison with legal advisers
- Commercial leadership (including developing business plans)
- Risk management
- Compliance and policy procedures
- Project management
- Sourcing funding opportunities
- Events management.
The role includes areas of leadership oversight that involve working closely with other corporate staff, including building and grounds, IT, office administration, enrolments, catering-canteen, cleaning, and finance.
The DOCS attends Board of Directors meetings as the Company Secretary and reports on matters relevant to the role for corporate services. As the Company Secretary, the DOCS provides secretariat functions to the Board at the direction of the Chairman of the Board of Directors and the Principal, provides governance support and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements. The DOCS also attends the Board sub-committees of Physical Resources Group (PRG) and Finance. (The Finance Manager reports to the Finance Committee of the Board).
Personal and Professional Characteristics
The DOCS role requires a dynamic, solution-oriented, innovative and committed professional who will be a strong contributor to the senior leadership team. The ability to problem solve, think laterally and derive high-quality solutions is imperative. Strong financial acumen is also essential.
There is also a high reliance on personal-professional attributes that include respect, honesty, integrity, confidentiality, credibility, empathy and authenticity.
As a senior leader, the DOCS requires a high degree of emotional intelligence to capably lead and manage a dedicated team of corporate staff and to work effectively with teaching and support staff. The ability to quickly build a strong rapport and to develop productive relationships is essential.
It is expected that the DOCS will conduct their work in accordance with the Core Values of the School while further promoting the Mission and Vision statements and earning a reputation as a highly respected member of the Executive team and a role model, both within the School and across the broader local community.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
1 – General Leadership, Human Resources and Recruitment
- Lead cultural practice with corporate staff, ensuring that all team members are operating in a professional and personable manner, providing support and creating opportunities for professional growth where suitable
- Chair periodic meetings with corporate staff to ensure organisational effectiveness and efficiency and build a positive team culture that is harmonious and supports effective working relationships
- Provide opportunities for regular formal and informal lines of communication for all team members to support professional practice
- Maintain currency of awareness with all relevant Employee Relations and Industrial Relations Awards and legislative requirements for employment including (but not limited to) Independent Schools Multi-Enterprise Award, Independent Schools Multi-Enterprise Non-Teaching Award and National Employment Standards
- Lead recruitment processes and assist the Principal in the appointment of prospective staff by:
- Diligently monitoring resourcing requirements of staff, including departures and all leave situations, to ensure appropriate staffing at all times
- Assist the Principal and Executive staff in the recruitment and appointment processes of all staff (i.e. advertising, letters of offer, contracts and related documentation)
- Lead robust interview and selection processes for administrative and support staff and recommend appointments to the Principal
- Oversee communication to prospective applicants throughout the process and enable effective induction of new staff
- Maintain all staff employment records (the Principal maintains staff disciplinary records)
- Oversee professional development of administrative and support staff
- Work with the Principal to regularly review the performance of administrative and support staff
- Keep the Principal informed of all significant employment needs and matters and lead industrial matters as required
- Manage all Workers Compensation and other HR related insurance matters
- Provide assistance to the Principal regarding industrial awards and enterprise bargaining agreement negotiations
2 – Business, Finance and Commercial Development and Support
- Lead the establishment of a quality Business Plan for the School in conjunction with the Principal, Finance Manager and Board to support planning of infrastructure and strategy
- Prepare business and financial cases for new initiatives, including reports to the Principal and Board with sound financial data from the Finance Manager
- Work with the Principal and Board to create and operationalise a Master Plan to support the physical resource development of the School
- Work closely with the relevant corporate staff, including Finance Manager, Academic Executive, Principal and PRG Board sub-committee, to determine and oversee a suitable annual capital works budget to achieve the strategic goals of the School
- Project manage as required in the corporate services area to deliver projects on time, on budget and to a high standard of completion, including supporting any externally appointed project managers for major capital works programs
- Support the Finance Department by:
- Working closely with the Finance Manager to liaise with banking and lending institutions with regards to existing and future loans, equity requirements and repayments
- Oversee internal compliance with financial and banking policy and procedure in accordance with Board delegations and regulatory requirements
- Assist the Finance Department, where appropriate, in the process of debt collection
- Oversee all census submissions ensuring accuracy for student enrolments
- Regularly search for funding opportunities across a range of dimensions (i.e.: capital works, educational delivery, professional development of staff) and execute processes to secure suitable funding
- Prepare all applications for Capital funding
- Maintain up to date knowledge of funding level factors to enable the school to maintain the best funding levels available through Federal, State and capital grants programs and work closely with the Finance Manager to model and implement final funding solutions
- Complete and submit financial reconciliations required by funding authorities for all capital expenditure as required
- Maintain financial reconciliation of all targeted funding and provide reconciliation and certification documentation to Grants authorities as required
- Establish and maintain an asset register of all equipment, buildings and property improvement
- Oversee the Boarding House/Canteen catering contractor to ensure all facets of the contract are met to a high standard, including annual and regular LGA health inspections and compliance
- Oversee staffing, stocking and operation of uniform shop, stock control, stock-take, facilities, administration, invoicing, price setting and financial operation
3 – Services, Grounds and Physical Resources
- Be responsible for negotiation of all contract services relating to facilities, including (but not limited to) energy supplier and contracts, mechanical, cleaning, fire and emergency services, waste disposal, pest, HVAC (heating ventilation and cooling) and management of onsite contractors and engage legal support where necessary
- Oversee Building and Grounds works to ensure high quality and timely presentation of the physical resources and environment
- In consultation with the Principal and PRG (Board committee), lead the development of new building and grounds projects
- Oversee Library services and purchases to ensure a well-resourced and high functioning centre of learning is provided to academic staff and students