At SMGS, we believe that every child of any age has the right to learn in a safe, supportive and caring environment where every student is enabled to feel that they belong.
At Snowy Mountains Grammar School, we have adopted the Australian Student Wellbeing Framework. This provides “every student with the strongest foundation possible for them to reach their aspirations in learning and in life”. The key focus here is on supporting the safety, wellbeing and learning of our community.
Objectives of our Wellbeing Program include:
- Adopt the Australian Student Wellbeing Framework to support the safety, wellbeing and learning of our community.
- Implement a Positive Education approach at Snowy Mountains Grammar School in support of the framework.
- Create leadership opportunities and a student voice for all students based on our core values (C.A.R.E).
- Develop and nurture the personal attributes of responsibility, resilience, compassion and optimism for the future.
- Provide a safe and inclusive boarding environment that supports the community to flourish.
- Empower students and staff to discover and develop their strengths and pursue new talents.
Our Wellbeing Program is underpinned by the following two frameworks: Bounce Back in the Junior School and Positive Education in the Senior School.
In addition to Bounce Back and Positive Education, the following activities and events support our Wellbeing Program:
- PDHPE syllabus curriculum studies, K-10
- Values and Religious Education, K-10
- Let’s Explore (Kindergarten five-week transition program), K
- Visiting programs, e.g: Life Education
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic, K-2 + Year 12
- Junior School Cultural Day, K-6
- Bounce Back (social and emotional learning program), K-6
- Junior School Leadership Program, Year 6
- GRIP Leadership, Year 6
- Year 6 into 7 Transition Evening and Program
- Prefect Leadership Program, Year 12
- GRIP Leadership, Year 12
- Harmony Day, Years 7-12
- Student Representative Council Program, Years 7-12
- Daily House Tutor Group, Years 7 to 12
- Chapel, K-12
- House-based charity, Years 7-12 (Cascades – Jeans for Genes Day, Kiandra – Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, Mowamba – Beyond Blue, Twynam – Clean Up Australia)
- International Women’s Day Breakfast
- International Men’s Day BBQ
- Lions Youth of the Year
- Pursuing Your Passions Session, Years 9-10
- CDAT Choices Seminar, Year 9
- Headspace Session
- Year 10 First Aid
- New Student Orientation Program and peer training opportunities, K-12
- University Discovery Days – Year 12
- Work Experience, Year 10
- Junior Wellbeing Sessions, Years 7-9
- Secret Men’s Business, Years 10-12
- Pyjama Party, Years 10-12
- Snowy Hydro Driver Training – Year 12
- Duke of Edinburgh’s Award program, Years 7-12