National and international evidence (shows) that a teacher’s effectiveness has a powerful impact on students, with broad consensus that teacher quality is the single most important in-school factor influencing student achievement. Effective teachers can be a source of inspiration and, equally importantly, provide a dependable and consistent influence on young people as they make choices about further education, work and life.
(Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership, 2011)
Teachers make the difference
At Snowy Mountains Grammar School, we inspire students every day in and out of the classroom. Our teachers are passionate professionals who care about every child.
In the Senior School we educate the whole child – intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, physically and socially. Every child has their own unique talents and we provide a caring, safe and supportive environment with many opportunities to develop their sense of self throughout their educational journey.
Our teaching approach stems from our Teaching and Learning Framework, based on the current Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, and also fuses the practical instructional elements of The Art and Science of Teaching developed by world-renowned educational expert, Robert Marzano PhD, author of more than 30 books on highly effective classroom teaching and student learning.
The approach to learning in our Senior School:
- is personalised where every student is known in every classroom
- uses evidence-based instructional design methodologies and pedagogies
- is rigorous, challenging, relevant for the 21st century, engaging and enjoyable
- promotes high standards of literacy and numeracy as fundamental
- includes a balanced curriculum with electives for students starting from Year 7
- involves contemporary practice, blending technology into lesson design
- considers a personalised and differentiated learning experience because we recognise students learn differently
- offers learning support and learning extension
- uses internal and external assessment data to further inform teachers about our curriculum design as well as adjust delivery of concepts in the classroom
- at all times promotes high levels of respect among and to all members of the classroom and school community where each child is valued
- enables very high levels of participation, opportunities and recognition in a wide range of curriculum and co-curricular events owing to our smaller classes and school community
- has numerous excellent modern spacious well-equipped classrooms with other classrooms updated from thheir original existence as part of the school’s Snowy Hydro Scheme heritage