Take Flight, at SMGS!
The main emphasis of the program is founded on the premise that a good decision can only be made with sound and comprehensive information. As such, the program provides students with knowledge and experiences, often not readily available in the public domain, that will facilitate their decision-making with respect to aviation. Such decisions may include the consideration of aviation as a career path, a recreational endeavour or as a way of expanding a general interest in the aviation industry.
In addition, the theory component of each course provides relevance to their normal academic subjects such as Science, Geography, Maths, PDHPE and Design & Technology.
- To provide students with enough information, much of which is not readily available in the public domain, to make an informed decision regarding a possible career in the aviation industry.
- To provide students with the opportunity to gain full commercial qualifications either as an RA-Aus pilot and/or as a commercial RPA (drone) pilot.
- To provide students with the opportunity to gain a competitive advantage when applying for post-school positions within the aviation industry.
- To provide students with the opportunity to further explore their interest in aviation.
SMGS Aviation Program Record
To date, our success rate for transitioning students from SMGS into the aviation industry includes students who are presently flying:
- 787 Dreamliner – Qantas
- C-17A Globemaster III – Royal Australian Airforce
- FA18 Hornet – Royal Australian Airforce
- Cessna Conquest – Sharp Airlines
- Airbus A320 – Air Arabia
- Airbus A320 – Jetstar
In addition, we have student/s involved in the following:
- Aeronautical Engineering Degree at ADFA and is now undertaking RAAF pilot training.
- Pilot cadetship with Torres Strait Air (multiple aircraft)
- RePL (drone) Licence (12 students have already gained their RePL)
- Employment with CASA
- Ground operations at Canberra Airport